Friday, January 21, 2011

One More Week.

Semi-perfectionist: A lazy perfectionist.

Okay, I made that up. That's how I feel, though. I want everything to be perfect. I revise and revise until I hate my book -until I hate everything about it. Then I put it away for a few months and come back to hate... I mean revise it again. And then I change my mind. At some point I have to accept it for what it is and put it out there, and I eventually do, but I hate it.

This time I've changed my mind about the cover. Shadow Born's cover was cool, and definitely striking, but it didn't quite click for me. The image didn't convey a sense of what the story was about. You don't want to give away everything with a cover, but that image didn't give away anything. Plus the colors didn't work. Purple is okay. Green's okay. Not together. I don't know why, I just knew looking at it that it was wrong. I can only fault myself, because it was a new version of a very old image that I did years ago. I think the original was better in design even though it was sub-par in construction.

So now I've decided on something new. I'm excited about it because it does a better job of communicating a sense of the story, but still just titillates. It creates an expectation but gives very little in actual details. I hope it works.

As always, I reserve the right to change my mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment