Tuesday, September 13, 2011

September Blues

September is turning out to be a challenging month for me. I know I'm behind on blog posting... I really need to thank Karen Woodward for the award she sent me. I'm going to pay it forward as soon as I can, honest!

Anyway, I have been busy with a lot of things, not the least of which is an inconvenient issue with my bank account. It started when I pulled my last music CD from distribution. I've been so busy writing (books) lately that I haven't had any time to write, produce, or publicize my music. Because of that, my last CD had been sitting there on the digital shelves, selling just a few tunes every month. That would be okay I suppose, but unlike e-book distribution, it costs me money to keep my CD available. And without me realizing it, my distributor automatically renewed my distribution contract for another year. This resulted in a good chunk of cash disappearing from my bank account about two weeks ago. Since then, I've been trying to get the issue sorted out. Customer service at the distributor lost track of my emails, and in the meanwhile -because my account was overdrawn and I had complained to the bank about the unapproved renewal- they canceled my check card thinking I had been defrauded or something. So now I think I've finally got my money back, but I have no ATM access.

In the midst of all that, I've been trying to batten down the hatches for winter, which usually starts up in about a month with a rainstorm that lasts until, oh, June. I have a project vehicle I'm restoring (a 1966 Chevy Impala SuperSport) that has a lot of exposed and rusting metal. I've swapped the old blown 327 for a throttle-body injected Chevy 350 and replaced the 1966 factory brakes with power disc brakes. The car's running and more or less roadworthy now, but I'm running out of time to get it sealed up before the rain starts. I'm also finishing (or fixing) several projects around my house, including a bottle rack I just finished building in my garage. That one's for my wine hobby. I have about 350 empty bottles (kindly donated by a local winemaking club) that I'd like to fill with some Cabernet and Chardonnay as soon as the grapes are ready... another event that's also barreling down on me like a freight train. I'm supposed to be getting 250 pounds of one, 150 of the other, and I'm expecting the Chardonnay grapes to be ready ANY DAY. That means I've been cleaning up the garage and making room for my fermentation tanks and bottles in the midst of all this. And I haven't even mentioned my real job. I won't bore you with the details.

Also, I'm now writing the last chapter of my new book, which is the second new title I've written over the summer, for a total of probably about 140,000 words. I know, I know. For some people that's just ONE book, but forgive me if I'm a little ADD. I'll be revising over the next week or two and then I'll let it sit for a short while before I release it this fall. (The other title is the sequel to Shadow Wars, which I may not release until I have the third installation finished.) 

So, Karen thank you once again. I'll be getting that list ASAP. I'd also like to post some new pics of the Cabernet vines I planted in the backyard this year, if time permits. In the meanwhile, I hope you are all enjoying the last weeks of summer and stocking up on lots of good books to read when the cold weather hits!


No comments:

Post a Comment