Sunday, October 2, 2011

Dark Shadows



 I have a hard time keeping up on the news about upcoming movies, especially since Hollywood has finally realized that good fantasy and horror can draw an audience and therefore it seems every studio must release a new genre film every few months, at most. The latest news that snuck up on me: living legends Tim Burton and Johnny Depp have teamed up once again, this time in a film remake of the 60's Gothic soap opera Dark Shadows.

It appears that the release date for this film has already been changed once or twice (no surprise with Depp working on Pirates of the Caribbean films) but IMDB now shows the release date as May, 2012. As with every Burton flick, an entire cast of wonderful actors will work alongside Depp, including: Chloe Grace Moretz (Kick-Ass and others), Helena Bonham Carter (Harry Potter films, etc.), Christopher Lee, and the gorgeous Michelle Pfeiffer.

I've been aware of this old TV series for a long time, but I don't think I've ever watched an episode, which is probably unusual considering I love vampire films and monster movies. I have a collection of old films on DVD that includes all of the old black & white Dracula, Frankenstein, and The Wolf Man movies, including the sequels and most of the remakes. I have the entire Blade series on DVD, including the TV show. Also, The Interview with the Vampire and Queen of the Damned, and the Dracula 2000 movie with Johnny Lee Miller, who's also in the Dark Shadows cast. I could go on but I think you get the point. I've even considered writing some vampire fiction, though lately I've been consumed by my fantasy writing and since vampires have become so... sparkly lately, I'm not sure my book ideas would sell right now.

I think I was probably dissuaded from watching the series by the angst and drama of soaps in general, in which it can take forever for anything to happen and most of the efforts towards tension and conflict are quite poorly done. I don't know. I suppose I'm going to have to go look up the series on Netflix or Hulu and watch it all now. Thanks, Tim Burton and Johnny Depp. I think.

Cineplex Movie Blog

Dark Shadows News

No comments:

Post a Comment