Tuesday, March 13, 2012



If you've been living under a rock, you might not know that the Author's Guild is at it again. This time, Guild president Scott Turow posted a letter more or less defending Big 6 publishers in the upcoming antitrust case the US Justice Dept. is pursuing on the basis that they believe legacy publishers have been price-fixing. Shocker, I know. Scott's argument is mostly a rehash of the facts (at least one side of the facts), but he closes with this:

"Let’s hope the reports are wrong, or that the Justice Department reconsiders. The irony bites hard: our government may be on the verge of killing real competition in order to save the appearance of competition.
This would be tragic for all of us who value books, and the culture they support."

Because without price-fixing publishers, there won't be any more books, right Scott?

/sarcasm

And that's all I have to say on the subject because I'm tired -and it's tired- and anyone with even a modicum of critical thinking skills can see that the situation is for more complicated than Scott cares to acknowledge, which in turn leads to the obvious but already redundant questions regarding the Guild's loyalties and ethics. However, if you'd like an interesting read on the subject, check out the convo between Joe Konrath and Barry Eisler. It's a nice counterpoint to Scott Turow's letter, in which they tackle his argument point-by-point and do it far more elegantly and humorously than I'd ever manage. You can study both sides of the issue and make up your own mind. Meanwhile...

In real news, Goodreads.com  is kindly hosting a giveaway of Shadow Rising this week. I've posted the link above. Five winners will each receive a signed paperback.

Also, http://dailycheapreads.com/ will be spotlighting The Tinkerer's Daughter on Thursday, March 15. Thanks Paula!


Closing thoughts:

As of today I'm 60,000 words into the sequel to The Tinkerer's Daughter and I expect to have the rough draft finished by the end of the week. I've been considering some experimental promotions for this title. One thought is to publish a teaser containing only the first few chapters. This would be free of course, in an attempt to build  steam for the book's release this summer (excuse the pun). I admit that I'm a marketing fool and I fully deserve that title. I didn't become a writer to spend all of my time marketing. The truth is, I've been profoundly dismayed at the amount of social networking going on among so-called writers who spend more time chatting up the boards than creating fiction. I don't fit into that world very well. I don't know how and I don't think I want to. Regrettably, I would probably sell more books if I did, but I still think the best route to success in this business is through prolificacy. I've read too many interviews by great writers who echoed that same sentiment in quotes similar to this:  

Writers write. Authors hang out in coffee shops talking about writing.

At any rate, I welcome marketing suggestions. If you have any thoughts, leave a comment or contact me through the contact page. Thanks for reading!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Jamie, congratulations on being almost finished The Tinkerer's Daughter. That must be a great feeling! Although ... I remember that when I reached the end of my last book the only thing I wanted to do was start another one but then I had to do * cringe * re-writing and * double cringe * editing!

    * shiver *

    About marketing suggestions ... Mmmm. I honestly think the best marketing plan is to write a lot of books (which you have done and are doing) and then make one, especially if it is the start of a series, free or 99 cents. Then go and let everyone know about this great deal through as many media channels as you can. That's my two cents for what it's worth. :)

    If you ever want to guest post on my blog, you are most welcome! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the offer Karen, I'd love to do a guest post or interview... maybe when I'm getting ready to launch Tinker 2? We'll talk!

    You nailed it on the end of the book, but I've got a system for that now :-) I actually finished a different book about a month ago, and I'm letting it ferment. I'm not planning to launch TTD part 2 until summer. In the meanwhile I'll revise my last book and probably write another.

    Wow, when I write it down like that it sounds exhausting.

    ReplyDelete