Monday, March 5, 2012

JamieSedwick.com is live!

 



JamieSedgwick.com is live today, and that's not the only thing that's new. As of today, this blog is now "Author Autonomous." It was a change I had been considering for some time, and now that I've launched the new website the timing seems appropriate. I think the new title is more reflective of what this blog is about, and of what I do. I was thinking earlier today about the differences between the legacy system and the new revolution of Indie publishers, and I suddenly realized just how much freedom I have. Granted, I don't have the benefit of a high-paid New York editorial team or a marketing team. I don't even have the option to go do a signing tour. What I do have is complete, unrestrained freedom. When it comes to my writing, I answer to no one except my fans. I don't have an agent or publisher expecting me to show up at certain venues at certain times. I get to choose my covers and if they're not good enough, I get to reject them for something better. The only deadlines I have are the ones I set for myself. 

It was an epiphany for me, because I often tend to focus on the advantages I don't have rather than the ones I do. Now that I've thought about it, I'm feeling pretty good about my situation. I like what I do and the more I do it, the more I'm sure it's what I'm here for. People talk a lot about freedom, but in this world I don't think they often really get to experience it. Rules govern every aspect of our lives. Ironically, this may even be more true in the land of the free and the home of the brave, where politics and big business have embedded themselves into every aspect of our lives. But in a way that has all fallen by the wayside because of the digital revolution, and for this brief, exciting moment in history, we have our freedom back and it's up to us to make of it what we will. This amount of freedom and power comes with certain inherent risks, but they're worth it. If there ever was a wild west in the business world this is it, and it's exciting!

Regarding JameSedgwick.com: About three years ago, I shut down my old website believing that the non-dynamic web space had outlived its usefulness. I didn't think anyone would be interested in visiting a static web page when they could interact with an author regularly through his or her blog. What I have come to understand since then is that a website is still considered the standard internet presence by some, especially those who are less internet-savvy and don't recognize or understand the rapid-fire changes that the internet has gone through in the last few years. To some of these people, the absence of a traditional website indicates a lack of professionalism or worse, a sign of the amateur. I have learned that I might sell thousands or even tens of thousands of books, but only a handful of those readers ever develop an interest in reading my blog. In fact, most of my regular readers are people who are writers themselves, or are closely connected to the Indie movement. 

On the other hand, readers and/or professionals who are unfamiliar with me may seek a standard website rather than a blog. It is primarily for that purpose that I have resurrected the old, and made it new. In that aspect, I'm very excited about the new website. The image above is a small preview of the website banner, but there's plenty more to see. Don't take my word for it! Cruise on over and take a look. When you're done, feel free to drop me a line and let me know what you think. In the meanwhile, I have links to update in all of my books. Yay...

No comments:

Post a Comment