Tuesday, July 10, 2012

I'm Back!!!!!



Whew. 10 Days on the road, 5 days of solid driving, towing my family's 25ft travel trailer through no less than 7 states for a total of nearly 3,000 miles. That's practically San Francisco to D.C.! After a whirlwind adventure, we finally got home Friday night. We spent Saturday unpacking and working on the trailer, and then towed it up to storage. And as soon as I was done with it all, I immediately came down with a cold.

I suppose that's not too surprising, considering the extreme exhaustion that such a trip can cause, but the truth is it started even before I left. I knew that before I hit the road with my family, I'd have to do some maintenance on my truck and trailer because the last place you want to break down is in the middle of the high plains in July, 1,000 miles from home and with no cell phone reception and temperatures often pushing 110 degrees.

I started early, doing some repairs on the trailer and general maintenance on the truck. Then I realized that I not only had to change the transmission fluid and oil, but the front end needed a complete rebuild. Before our trip even began, I had changed the ball joints, tie rods, drag link and track bar bushings... plus the above mentioned maintenance. So really, this trip started for me about two months ago and I hadn't had a moment's rest until Sunday morning, when the flu knocked me on my butt and I spent the day pacing around the house like a mental patient looking for his invisible sneakers.

And yesterday, an old friend came by to ask for help finding a new apartment because the house where he had been renting a room just went into a short sale and the bank gave him two weeks to get out. Hazy as I was, I did what I could. He's got a list of six places to visit today. I hope it all works out for him, and I'm sure by the end of the week I'll probably be helping him move.

At any rate, Sunday and Monday were a wash and I'm only just getting back to reality today. I had big plans for this week but I'm kind of lowering my expectations. I'm getting ready to send out ARCs on Tinker's War, but they won't be ready for a couple more weeks and in the meanwhile I still haven't drummed up any reviews for Death in the Hallows. So my plan is to contact reviewers this week and send out copies of Hallows, and then start focusing on Tinker's War next week. By the end of the month I'll be sending those ARCs out.

In the meanwhile, my blog and newsletter followers are welcome to email me and get on the list. If you want an advance review copy of Tinker's War, let me know! And if you have a blog or other similar forum and would like to do an interview or author spotlight, please contact me. My email address is: JamieSedgwick@sbcglobal.net

4 comments:

  1. I'm sorry your trip was so much work. But it sure was good to see you!!!! Janice

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Janice! It was great to see the family, especially the younger ones I hadn't ever met. Exhausting, though. I wish there were an easier way to do it. If only some of that family up north could find their way to Cali...

    ReplyDelete
  3. When will Tinker'rs War being Amazon ? I want to buy a copy asap :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for asking, Josh. Tinker's War will be released Sept. 15... HOWEVER, if you follow my blog and/or newsletter, you can find out how to get a free ARC, which is an advance copy for review purposes. The ARC will be available soon, hopefully in early August!

    The only thing I ask with ARCs is please, please, please! leave a review on Amazon and maybe some of the other sites. Reviews make a big difference on whether new readers will try my books so they help a lot!

    ReplyDelete