Monday, August 6, 2012

ARCs going out now!

Advance copies of Tinker's War are going out this week. Most of you who elected for an e-book probably already have a copy. If not, check your junk mail filter. If you still don't have it, let me know and I'll get a fresh copy sent out ASAP. 

I haven't received the paperbacks yet, but I expect them by the end of the week. They will ship as soon as I have them in hand. I will also be launching a giveaway on Goodreads (of course!), so keep your eyes open for that.

In completely unrelated news, I'm using Blogger's updated interface - the one they're going to force on us very soon - and I absolutely hate it. The frames are gone so everything looks weird... things just seem to float off the page. The colors are light gray and bright white (not sure yet if this can be changed) and they're kind of hard for me to stare at. There is nothing to separate the posts on my reading list, other than some white space. It's like a print newspaper with no borders. If this really is the wave of the future, it may be time for me to move on to Wordpress, which some of my fans have already suggested. 

I'm not sure how much of this new Blogger interface can be customized, but frankly I don't want to waste the time. The reason I went with Blogger in the first place was because the interface was clean and simple. There was no learning curve. Pick a template and start typing. Get down to business. The only real alternative out there is Wordpress, which can be notoriously tough to figure out at first. Plus, most of the Wordpress websites I see out there really don't have much refinement to them. I'm not against the simple look, but at a certain point it looks kind of cheap. I don't think a massive java website that costs thousands of dollars is the answer either, but something in between is nice. I thought I had that with Blogger and with my website (on an alternate host) but now I'm not so sure.

The one thing I do know is that right when you think you've got things worked out, somebody always gets an idea. Usually, somebody is a person with too much time on their hands and enough power to force the rest of us to go along with their silly notions. Somebody might be your boss, leaving you no choice (if you like and/or need) your job, or somebody might be Blogger or Facebook or Google, in which case it's not an ultimatum but it still doesn't leave you with any real choices. No good ones, anyway.

I'd better stop now, before I start talking about big corporations and modern management techniques.

No comments:

Post a Comment