Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Acknowledgements


I recently blogged about the difficulties and challenges many writers encounter in this business. One of those topics was the lack of support, apathy, or downright hostility we may face -often directed at us not by strangers who hated our book, but by friends and family we would normally expect to be supportive and understanding. My admittedly amateurish knowledge of psychology is far too limited to explain this, and I'm not sure any one explanation would suffice. I suspect many would point to jealousy as a motivating factor, and I'm sure in some cases they would be correct, but even that doesn't adequately explain why someone with only moderate success -or none!- would face these same hostilities. Yet it seems to work that way.

Sadly, no analysis of this behavior will cure it, and every author must ultimately find his or her own way through their unique challenges. As reclusive and solitary as authors tend to be, it's easy to get caught up in the negative aspects. We must learn to look beyond the disappointments, the hurt feelings, and the occasional hostility. Which brings us to the point of this post, and it is not about those who would damage us, but those wonderful people who lift us up and encourage us when we need it most.

In my life, I have been blessed with a number of those people. My wife, first and foremost, has always believed in me as both a writer (and musician), and without her help and support I may never have had the opportunity to pursue this dream. My children have been an ongoing source of inspiration and enlightenment, tempered by heavy doses of reality and humor for almost twenty years now, and I find myself writing to them more often than you might think. My father-in-law, who believes in me for reasons I don't yet understand, has purchased and read most of my books and continues to offer encouragement even though I'm sure he knows any sensible person would have given up this silly dream years ago and just gotten a real job. My close friend Mel, who has read just about every word I've ever written, and still strangely believes I can do this. 

Then there are the fans, the readers and reviewers, the bloggers, the people who have been kind enough to pass my work on to others and to post their reviews online... and even the people who at least have the kindness to say they'll purchase my books even if they never do. In one way or another, all of these people keep me going. I can't even begin to describe how validating it is for me to see a new review from a happy customer, or another day of sales, or a royalty check at the end of the month that tells me enough people liked my stories well enough that I can continue to pay my bills.

I you're reading this, you are probably one of these people, and that means I thank you for your support and encouragement. I may not be able to thank you all individually, or to dedicate a book to each and every one of you, but I can thank you here. In addition to that, I will continue to do regular giveaways of my books, free pre-prelease copies to loyal readers and reviewers, and occasionally even big ticket items like maybe another kindle pretty soon!   :-)  

No comments:

Post a Comment