Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Blog Update (projects page added!)

I've mentioned before that I have been working on a new website with a wordpress host. I've been working with wordpress.com, but I have decided they aren't going to work for me. They are simply too restrictive, and offer very few benefits. .Org has very few of the features available in .Com; the former is more of a managed blog than a real website (similar to Blogger). In fact, not only will they NOT allow me to put up a simple banner linking to my books on Amazon, they won't even respond to my contact requests. At this point, even if I found a simple fix for this problem, wordpress.com would be off my list simply for their poor customer service. They had a chance to prove themselves before I dropped some cash, and they failed to do so.

Still, I do like the benefits of wordpress, especially the flexibility of the platform, so I'm going to have to go with a standard wordpress.org installation. I'd like to migrate before summer is over, but I won't do it until I can make it happen seamlessly. Since I'm a rookie, it's important to take my time and make sure I get it right.In the meanwhile, Blogger has made a few improvements recently, so  I'm making the best of what I have for now.

One of those improvements is the much more user-friendly interface for customizing and adding pages. I have used this to add tabs at the top of the front page, featuring links to my Bio, a Books page, and now a Projects page. This means that readers will be able to access my aquaponics experiences, my muscle car restorations, canoe projects, and so on with just one or two clicks. This should make some readers very happy since about 75% of my monthly hits go to my projects posts. Especially popular are the Dodge Charger Project, The Impala Project, and the Aquaponics introduction. If you have any favorites, check that tab for updates.

No comments:

Post a Comment