Wednesday, July 26, 2017

Price changes this week!

Just a quick note to let you all know that I'm adjusting prices this week on some of my books. This adjustment is going upward, so if you've been eyeing a title, you may want to grab it now. This change applies to both Sedgwick and Gates titles.

I don't want to get into all the details of why I'm doing this right now, but I can give you a quick summary:

#1) Amazon doesn't work the same anymore. FREE is practically useless when it comes to giving my books visibility. I might sell fewer copies at higher prices, but I will actually pull in more profit and probably gain more traction, because a higher sales price now equals a better ranking than a large number of downloads. I feel bad about doing this to my readers because I want to get my books into as many hands as possible, even if it costs me a little financially. I was playing the long game, but somebody changed the rules at halftime. Which brings me to...

#2) My freebies and perma-free titles have proven to be a magnet for trolls. Don't believe me? Scroll through the review pages of The Clockwork God or The Tinkerer's Daughter. I particularly like this one that came in a few days ago on Clockwork:  "feels like the author is stringing her readers with an eyedropper for gain. This is basically a section in a larger book, lopped off and sold as a complete yarn, which it isn't. Good writing, mediocre in its presentation and reach."

Yeah she thinks I'm a lady, but that's not the part that bothers me. What bothers me is that this book was Free. #2 in the series was $0.99 and #3 was $2.99. We're talking more than 200,000 words of fiction in three complete novels for less than $4. And this reviewer says I'm robbing her. If only there were a button next to these reviews where a thousand people could click "NO" this review was not helpful." (heh, heh)

At any rate, if any of you who actually like my books want to post a review (or ten), I wouldn't mind at all. :)  And if you have a friend who might like my stories, let him/her know that the fire sale is over. Grab 'em quick

4 comments:

  1. What a shame. This might explain why Amazon's free selection is not what it used to be. I just started "Should be Dead," my first by you. No matter how inexpensive books are I literally can't afford anything other than free right now. Will be happy to leave an honest review when I'm finished though. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Anon, I hope you enjoy the book. I will continue to do free and/or $0.99 promos from time to time. I'm also usually happy to give out e-book review copies to honest and dedicated reviewers. If that sounds like you, you can always email and ask for a specific title.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello there! Quick question that's entirely off topic.
    Do you know how to make your site mobile friendly? My site looks weird when viewing from my iphone4.
    I'm trying to find a template or plugin that might
    be able to fix this problem. If you have any recommendations,
    please share. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Judging from your question, it sounds like you're using wordpress or something similar. I can't really help you with that. One reason I like Blogger is that the templates already have mobile versions built in.

    ReplyDelete